Monday 10 November 2008

Old vs New: Film vs Digital

I know I carry on like a pork chop about how film mostly provides a much better image than digital. The fact of the matter is that it is true. Why?

Well, one [to me, important] reason is that I
admire how the photographer puts much more thought into his or her photo because they only have 12-16 frames to work with. I'll be honest with you, I find the 60 photos of your debaucherous night out that you uploaded onto Facebook a little tired after the umpteenth album [perhaps entitled drunken night out] appeared in my Home Feed.

Don't you just love the look and feel of your parents old photos? I do. There's a mood in them you just can't capture in a digital image. I am aware that after you purchase an older camera & pay for film, processing and printing onto matte stock, its a costly exercise and that is where digital conquers [especially in these economically uncertain times]. But in my opinion [and remember, this is MY blog], it is worth spending the dollars.

I'm not completely dissing digital, I appreciate the convenience of owning a digital camera, so much so, I own one myself. And, I really enjoy looking at people's digital images on their Flickr, there is some amazing photography being produced with digital cameras.

But, my love affair with film will never cease to exist.

Apart from the blonde hair, not much else has changed about me since having the above photo taken [circa 1983, Mum?]. I'm still 'mad as a cut snake'.

C x

No comments: