Sunday 23 November 2008

Black or White

[image credit]

I don't really watch much of Australian Idol. But I have caught a couple of minutes of it this season and must say; I was rather impressed with the winner's version of Michael Jackson's 'Black or White'.

This song was released in 1991; I was in Grade 4 at the time. One of my birthday presents received that year was the much coveted 'Dangerous' album. I popped my little cassette tape in my school bag, and waited patiently over the following few days for a time to present & impress my school yard friends with my new prized possession. I was looking for just the right moment. Luckily, for me, it was Autumn and therefore; we had plenty of Wet Lunches.

['Wet Lunch' was just another way of our teachers saying 'you have to stay inside at lunchtime because it is raining'.]

Now normally I wasn't huge on a Wet Lunch. I enjoyed running around having bark fights with my besties. But I decided that the time had come to revolutionise the otherwise boring Wet Lunch.

At the first opportunity, I pulled out my cassette tape to show my classmates. Immediately, we pushed all the tables and chairs to the side of the classroom to form a small dance floor in the middle. I popped Dangerous in the communal tape deck, Fast Forward to said song & pressed Play. The entire room belted out the first verse. But it was when the chorus started that the energy of 30+ Grade 4s exploded. My friends and I started busting out some very serious dance moves in our mock disco. There were kicks flying above heads, air punches, body waves and of course, lots of moon walking.

This would be a routine my pals and I would continue throughout many a Wet Lunch, until we parted ways, 2 years later at our Grade 6 graduation.

It is my favourite of all Michael Jackson songs; not just the song itself but also the awesome film clip.

Enjoy.

C x

No comments: