Sunday 29 March 2009

Found on FFFFOUND! 29.03.2009

I often end my phone calls with female friends by saying 'I love you, bye!'. Or I will sign off an email with those words. Or I will say it to them when we are hanging out, and just feel like I need to remind them that, well, I love them! And yes, I have said it over bubbles. Many times.

Sometimes my friends say it to me first. Sometimes I say it to them first. Either way, it can make a bad day turn to good.

And yep, I sometimes say it to my male friends. There are some of my good male friends who I can throw my arms around, give them a big hug and tell them I love them without them assuming I now want to mother their children. That's just how we roll. Yet, you can imagine the can of worms it opens up for people who don't understand that that is the sort of friendship I am so lucky to have with these special men. If I am single, they assume I have a rather large and open crush on my friends. If I have a partner at the time, they think I am cheating!

Its funny how many people have described these platonic exchanges as 'a bit weird'. Their reaction doesn't offend me but it does make me chuckle. Boys participating in a bromance can declare their love for each other whilst drunk, yet when I end my [sober] phone conversation with three simple words, I can make people within earshot, uncomfortable?

Similarly, I was once asked if I was a lesbian because I was holding hands with my [female] friend as we walked to the shops to buy some lunch. We were asked this even though the person who posed the question knew that we [at the time] had boyfriends. But then, even if I had a girlfriend or was single, would it really matter anyway?

As many a stoner has once asked: Where IS the love, man?

Check out this blog for other inspirational words.

C x

No comments: