Wednesday 10 September 2008

Fearlessness


My fearlessness can get me, someone who is known for her clumsiness, into quite the pickle sometimes.

My ex-boyfriend bought a scooter one summer. I had never ridden a motorised bike on my own before, so one day I asked him to teach me. We jumped on the scooter [Mr Ex driving, me on the back] and headed down to a deserted car park in Richmond. I popped on the helmet, threw my leg over the seat and propped myself up ready for my first lesson, confident I would be a pro in no time. As Mr Ex was explaining to me how the brakes worked, he stressed to never pull the brakes really hard, or when also pulling on the accelerator as I would go flying over the front handlebars. 'Yep no worries!' I said, as I accidentally pulled on the accelerator. Off I went at 60kms, which may not seem that fast, but I felt like I was rocketing at lightening speed towards a very murky Yarra River at the end of the car park. So focused on not pulling the brakes too hard, I decided my only way out of this situation alive was to throw myself off the scooter whilst it was still hurtling forwards. I landed pretty hard on the concrete and skid a few metres to my left, the scooter skid a few metres to the right. Mr Ex came running towards me with tears in his eyes. There were two reasons behind the tears; the first that I had smashed up his 2 week old scooter, and the second; what had just occurred was one of the funniest things he had ever seen. I also had tears in my eyes and also for two reasons. One, I was in a hell of a lot of pain [I still can' t feel part of my left leg, the one I landed on] and two, I had just torn up my brand new $400 Tsubi jeans.

I learnt a very valuable lesson that day. Be less fearless? No. The lesson I learnt was: smashing up your boyfriend's brand new scooter can lead to an expensive break-up.

Do I still want to get a scooter one day? Yes.

C x

No comments: