Monday 6 October 2008

First Date Guide

A male friend of mine seems to go on a lot of dates [you know who you are, ha ha!]. One night he asked me for some suggestions of where to take a new lady on a first date. This got me thinking about the last time I was on a first date [2005 if you must know! Terrible huh?].

At the time I was living in the heart of Melbourne in a beautiful apartment with bay views, but my cooking skills were [and still are] terrible. Seriously. So there would be no impressing this potential beau with home cooked culinary delights. Instead I thought it would be best to showcase my knowledge of 4 of Melbourne's hidden and not-so-hidden gems.

[N.B. I have updated this guide as one of my First Date stops has since burnt down.]
  1. Meet for a drink at Von Haus. There's an interesting story behind this place, read it here and impress by sharing it on your big night.
  2. Have dinner at Pellegrinis. Great food, great atmosphere, and the very loud waiters will help distract you from your first date jitters.
  3. Check out an exhibition at the National Gallery of Victoria. If it is a Wednesday night, they are open until 9pm and have live music. Ooh, romantic.
  4. Finish off with a coffee at any cafe in Degraves Street. I recommend Hell's Kitchen.
It's a bit cliché, it's a bit contrived, but it'll make for a good first date IMO. I love a first date, as long as I'm not on it!

C x

No comments: