Wednesday 27 August 2008

Jack's Painting


My nephew Jack is always a little shy around me which is something I've battled with for a long time. He makes me laugh a lot and I think he's the spunkiest 5 year old I know. We have not, however, spent nearly enough time with eachother and I hope over the years that after more time spent together he and I develop a bond that lasts forever.

I asked him one day if he could paint me a picture, and a few days later he came to my house with his Mum, walked slowly with trepidation through the door with an A4 piece of paper in his hand avoiding all eye contact with me. His Mum said 'Jack, do you have something for Aunty Clare?', and he nodded and very quickly handed me the piece of paper and ran off.

I instantly fell in love with my new piece of fine art. The colours matched those in my bedroom. The shapes were organic. It was abstract. There were dramatic lashings of black. It was a bit Willem De Kooning meets Claude Monet.

Now I have been told Jack usually paints in larger than life primary colours, so it was interesting to see that when he was commissioned to do a piece for me, he chose colours that he could associate with me. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I really do think he put a bit of thought into this piece. And it certainly paid off.

I hope you like it as much as I do.

C x

No comments: